Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
Level: All levels
Dhanu = a bow.
Organizing the Pose
- Lie flat on the floor on the belly.
- Reach back and take hold of the ankles or the tops of the feet.
- Soften the buttocks and roll the tailbone towards the knees.
- Exhale and lift up into the pose by pressing the inner thighs up and the ankles back.
- Hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Either proceed on to Parshva Dhanurasana (Side Bow Pose) or exhale and release down with control.
- Soften and widen the buttocks and the backs of the thighs.
- Lengthen the tailbone towards the knees.
- Lift with the inner thighs.
- Widen the collarbones and shoulder blades.
- Reach the arms back.
- Lengthen the sides of the waist and chest towards the head.
- Soften and widen the back of the neck.