Purvottanasana (Intense East Stretch Pose) Table Top Variation
Purva = the east, or the front of the body. Uttana = stretched out, spread out, lying on the back.
Organizing the Pose
- Sit in Dandasana (Staff Pose).
- Bend the knees and place the feet flat on the floor.
- Swing the hips towards the heels and roll the shoulders back and down.
- Exhale and swing the hips up towards the ceiling.
- Bring the head back last thing of all, and only if you can do it without crunching the neck.
- If you feel unstable in the pose, walk the feet a little bit away from you.
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Exhale and return to Dandasana.
- Soften and widen the buttocks and the backs of the thighs.
- Strengthen the inner thighs and widen the abdomen.
- Lengthen the tailbone towards the knees.
- Narrow and lift the sides of the waist.
- Widen and lift the back ribs.
- Widen the collarbones and shoulder blades.
- Reach the arms down.
- Roll the armpits up and over the collarbones towards the head.
- Soften and widen the back of the neck.