Level: All levels
This is sometimes called Adho Mukha Virasana (Downward Facing Hero Pose), though it is quite a different variation from being in Virasana and simply folding forward. This is a versatile little pose that can be practiced both actively and passively with some very enjoyable restorative variations.
Organizing the pose
- • Bring the big toes together and the knees apart.
• Exhale and extend forward, laying the trunk out over the thighs.
• Reach the arms forward and plant the palms down shoulder width apart. Alternately, bring the arms back alongside the shins and rest the backs of the hands on the floor. Hold this position.
- • Soften the thighs.
• Broaden and deepen the hip creases.
• Soften the lower abdomen.
• Soften the pelvic floor and spread the sitting bones.
• Let the head rest and soften the neck.
• Soften the shoulders.