Parivrttaikapada Shirshasana (Single Leg Revolved Head Stand)
Parivrtta = turned, turned round, revolved, rolling. Eka = one. Pada = the foot. Shirsha = the head.
Organizing the Pose
- Come into the pose from Salamba Shirshasana 1 (Head Stand 1).
- Take the left leg back behind you and the right leg forward.
- Turn the legs, hips, waist and ribs to the right.
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Return to Shirshasana and repeat on the second side.
- Either continue on with other Shirshasana variations or come down out of the pose.
- When turning to the right, ground down through the left forearm and widen the left collarbone to bring weight back into it. Reverse this when turning to the left.
- Gently turn the top of the sternum away from the direction of twist to help keep the shoulder girdle even.
- When turning to the right, turn the left hip around the right to get the pelvis to turn around better. Reverse when turning left.
- Make sure not to drop the front foot too far down. Keep balance between the two legs.
- Make sure not to push the front foot past the midline of the body and press into the groin.