Parshva Shirshasana (Side Head Stand)
Parshva = side of the body, or flank. Shirsha = the head.
Organizing the Pose
- Come into the pose from Salamba Shirshasana 1 (Head Stand 1).
- Turn the hips, waist and ribs to the right.
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Return to the center and repeat on the second side.
- Either continue on with other Shirshasana variations or come down out of the pose.
- When turning to the right, ground down through the left forearm and widen the left collarbone to bring weight back into it. Reverse this when turning to the left.
- Gently turn the top of the sternum away from the direction of twist to help keep the shoulder girdle even.
- When turning to the right, turn the left hip around the right to get the pelvis to turn around better. Reverse when turning left.