Upavishtha Konasana Shirshasana (Bound Angle Pose in Head Stand)
Baddha = bound, tied, fixed, fastened. Kona = angle. Shirsha = the head.
Organizing the Pose
- Come into the pose from Salamba Shirshasana 1 (Head Stand 1).
- Bring the soles of the feet together into Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose).
- Extend the legs.
- Either keep the legs as they are, or descend the feet, folding at the hip crease and reach the legs forward for a slightly different variation.
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- If in the first variation, return to Baddha Konasana and then Shirshasana. If in the second, bring the feet into Urdhva Dandasana (Upward Staff Pose).
- Either continue on with other Shirshasana variations or come down out of the pose.
- Keep the wrists stacked up and ground down evenly through the forearms.
- Stretch down through the triceps into the elbow while stretching up through the biceps.
- Stretch evenly through the armpits.
- Broaden the collarbones and balance the weight evenly between them.
- Widen the neck, throat and upper back.
- Stretch up evenly through the sides of the waist.
- Widen and lift the hip creases evenly.
- Soften and widen the buttocks, abdomen and inner thighs and feet.
- Soften and spread the pelvic floor and the inner pelvis.
- Soften and widen the chest, neck and throat.