Sukhasana (Comfortable Pose)
Level: All levels
Sukha = happiness, joy, comfort, ease.
Organizing the pose
- • Sit in Dandasana (Staff Pose). Be up on at least two blankets to make it easy to sit comfortably.
• Take hold of the inner right thigh with the right hand just above the knee and drag the right foot in, keeping the right leg completely soft and passive and letting the arm do all the work.
• Do the same with the left leg.
• Cross the legs at the shin so that the thighs are parallel, pointing forward, and not coming out to the side in a “v”.
• Adjust the legs so that the knees are the same height off the floor.
• Tuck the outer edges of the feet under so that they rest on the edge and not on the top of the foot.
• Sit upright and place the backs of the hands on the thighs. Have the head centered and roll the eyes down to gaze at the floor. Hold this position for a few breaths.
• Release and return to Dandasana (Staff Pose) and repeat on the other side.
- • Soften the lower abdomen and groins.
• Let the thighs turn out.
• Release the tops of the thighs down into the floor.
• Soften the lower back and broaden the back ribs.
• Lift and lengthen the sides of the trunk.
• Broaden the chest and collarbones.