Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
Level: All levels
Vajra = Thunderbolt.
Organizing the pose
- • Come into Dandasana (Staff Pose).
• Bend the legs and swing them around to the side.
• Bring the knees and ankles together.
• Sit back on the shins, keeping the heels from rolling out and remaining on the front of the shin bones as much as possible. Put a block, blanket or bolster underneath the buttocks if it makes it easier to sit.
• Pull the buttock flesh back and hook it over the heels.
• Lift up one knee at a time. Press the top of the foot down and stretch the shin bone before placing the knee back down.
• Place the palms on the tops of the thighs. Hold this position.
- • Soften the knees and ankles.
• Allow the weight to settle evenly between the two shins.
• Release the tops of the thighs down towards the floor.
• Stack the shoulders up above the hips and the ears above the shoulders.
• Lift and lengthen the sides of the trunk.
• Broaden the chest and collarbones.