Virasana (Hero Pose)
Level: All levels
Vira = hero.
Organizing the pose
- • Sit in Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose).
• Bring the knees together and separate the heels so that that the hips can slide down to the floor between them.
• If the pelvis doesn’t reach the floor, place as much padding as necessary underneath you for support.
• Draw the buttock flesh back to sit on the front of the buttock bones.
• Roll the calves out and the shins down to the floor.
• Take hold of the heel and roll the ankles out to come to the top of the feet. Roll each toe to point them back behind you.
• Lift each knee one at a time, freeing up the skin at the top of the shins and stretch the shins forward.
• Rest the palms on the tops of the thighs. Hold this position.
• To come out of the pose, either curl the toes under and go up gingerly into Adho Mukha Shvanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose) or keeping the legs bent, roll over the feet and turn them in before standing up and slowly straightening the legs.
- • Soften the knees and ankles.
• Allow the weight to settle evenly between the two shins.
• Release the tops of the thighs down towards the floor.
• Stack the shoulders up above the hips and the ears above the shoulders.
• Lift and lengthen the sides of the trunk.
• Broaden the chest and collarbones.