Bharadwajasana 2 (Bharadwaja's Pose 2)
Bharadwaja = an ancient sage with an insatiable desire for learning.
If your Padmasana (Lotus Pose) is tight, you may well find that you are unable to get the knee down to the floor. Rather than do the pose with the hips level and the knee up, stack blankets up under the Padmasana hip and rest the outer thigh/outer knee on the ground. Settle the Virasana (Hero Pose) hip down towards the ground. This will help the Padmasana leg to stretch out.
Organizing the Pose
- Sit in Dandasana (Staff Pose).
- Bend the left leg back as if for Virasana (Hero Pose). Keep the left thigh pointing forward. Roll onto the top of the shin as best you can and bring the heel in close to the hip.
- Bend the right leg as for Padmasana (Lotus Pose) and place the right ankle on the top of the left thigh.
- Reach the right arm behind the back and bind the food. If you are unable to reach the whole way to bind, loop a belt around the foot and bind to that instead.
- Bring the left hand across to the right thigh.
- Inhale and lift through the sides of the body.
- Exhale and turn to the right, away from the legs.
- After a few moments, turn the head back to the left.
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Return to Dandasana and repeat on the second side.
- Widen and deepen the hip crease on the lifted side.
- Soften the lower abdomen.
- Lift evenly through the sides of the trunk.
- Turn the upper abdomen, the chest and the shoulder.
- Keep the ears level.
- Soften and widen the upper back and the back of the neck.