Bharadwajasana 2 (Bharadwaja's Pose 2) Simple Variation
Level: All levels
Bharadwaja = an ancient sage with an insatiable desire for learning.
Organizing the Pose
- Sit in Dandasana (Staff Pose).
- Bend the left leg back as if for Virasana (Hero Pose). Keep the left thigh pointing forward. Roll onto the top of the shin as best you can and bring the heel in close to the hip.
- Bend the right leg as if for Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose), placing the foot against the inner left thigh.
- Bring the left hand across to the right thigh and the right hand to the floor.
- Inhale and lift through the sides of the body.
- Exhale and turn to the right, away from the legs.
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Return to Dandasana and repeat on the second side.
- Press the feet down and widen the hip crease on the lifted side.
- Soften the lower abdomen.
- Lift evenly through the sides of the trunk.
- Turn the upper abdomen, the chest and the shoulder.
- Keep the ears level.
- Soften and widen the upper back and the back of the neck.