Marichyasana 1 (Marichi's Pose 1) twist only
Level: All levels
Marichi = one of the sons of Brahma, the creator.
This pose is also known as Marichyasana A in the Ashtanga Vinyasa system.
Organizing the Pose
- Sit in Dandasana (Staff Pose), elevating the pelvis on blankets to help you to lift up and extend the sides of the trunk if necessary.
- Take hold of the back of the left thigh and draw the knee in, keeping the muscles of the left leg as soft as possible.
- Plant the left foot flat on the floor with the heel in line with the sitting bone.
- Inhale and reach the left arm up, extending through the left side.
- Exhale, keep the lift in the side body and place the arm against the inner thigh.
- Inhale and lengthen up through the left side.
- Exhale, roll the chest and upper abdomen to the right, away from the left thigh.
- For a more advanced variation, bring the left arm around the left shin and the right arm behind you. Clasp the left wrist in the right hand. Hold onto a belt if the hands do not reach.
- Hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Inhale and release out of the pose.
- Exhale and return to Dandasana (Staff Pose).
- Repeat on the second side.
- Strengthen the inner thighs.
- Spread the back of the knee of the straight leg and anchor the outer knee ligament down into the ground.
- Soften and broaden the hip creases.
- Soften the lower abdomen and move it deeper into the body. Lift and turn from the upper abdomen.
- Balance the weight between the heel of the bent leg and the sitting bone of the straight leg.
- Turn the pubic bone towards the bent knee, the navel toward the straight leg.
- When twisting to the right, reach the right leg and the right collarbone away from each other. Reverse for the other side.
- Soften and widen the neck and back.